Announcements

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.71 Average
Tips for autox??
Hey guys,
My town has an autox that i'm really interested in and would like to run. I have a 96 coupe ex, what mods would you guys recommend? A buddy of mine is looking for some suspension for me so yeah. Any help would be appreciated Thumbup

Thanks
Just do tires and suspension with a good seat and call it a day for now.

Learn how to drive your car as it is. Have fun with it. Once you know you have maxed out it's limitations, then and only then make the necessary modifications to improve what needs it. WATCH OUT though, one simple modification could bump you into a class where you'll never be more than at the back of the pack and that is no fun. Keep a rule book glued to your hip when deciding what to do to the car.

If you've never done it before, seat time in ride-alongs, driving time, and advice from other more experienced people is BY FAR the most important things you need in order to improve your times.

Before doing anything, make sure Gabe and Zoops and a few others put in their two cents and you'll have all the info you need.
EJ8Squad Member #235
OG ghost.
bjscivic Wrote:WATCH OUT though, one simple modification could bump you into a class where you'll never be more than at the back of the pack and that is no fun.

This is beyond true. I don't autox here because my engine swap puts me into the Race Prepared class (engine swap resulting in 15% increase in displacement or more) and I would have to go up against some seriously purpose built cars. Cuss
[Image: 3248993813_d9d6c03edc.jpg]

BLACK FENDER RACING
./\. ./\. ./\. ./\. ./\. ./\. ./\. X X X X X
BBQ Blowout Sale!!
when you get into autocross what you want to do is decide if you want to race for fun or to compete. obviously if you race for fun there is no restriction so you can mod your car to your hearts content and dont care what class your in. however if you race to compete you have to choose your modifications wisely if your aiming for a certain class. now as for tips everyone pretty much hit the ball. before the event you want to walk the course at least 2 times so you have a general idea of what it will look like. then try not to be in the first couple of runs so you have time to ride with people so you get a sense of what it feels like. you also don't want to choose to drive in the first heat. work at a station first so you get a better idea of how the course works and how other people take on the turns.. as for modifications the first things i would get is tires and shocks/spring combo or coilovers. run with that first to understand how your car drives and later on you will know what characteristics you want to bring out. for example if you wanted more oversteer you could add a bigger sway bar to the rear.. i would also like to add that before doing any event please inspect your car and make sure its in good shape to run.. check your brakes, look for loose bolts, tighten your lugs, etc.. anyways sorry for the long post haha im in class and im bored as hell.. i cant wait for the autox season in il to start.. i took first in my class last season so hopefully i can stand my ground this coming season

edit: another thing i forgot to add was while your doing your runs you want to think smooth not fast
[Image: image.php?u=160&type=sigpic&dateline=1257829213]
hey guys!
thanks for the quick and helpful tips!!
well..i'm in the in-between category (for fun or compete). i'm more like the guy who has fun, while going for the best results that he can. haha.

yeah, my friend right now is looking for some coilovers for me at the moment. should i change my tires also? or since i'm in it more for fun, leave it as it is?

thanks for the tips guys!
i'll be riding shotgun at the track soon. haha Woot[/u]
Just go out for the first time and have fun. It's a blast. Pay attention to other drivers, co-chairs, and the course layout. Don't worry about mods just yet if you want to be competitive. If you start modding the car...you'll get bumped up into a class with quicker cars and usually quicker drivers.
Thanks man, yeah i'll be hitting it up soon. But i def. need some coilovers first. I can feel the body roll a bit, and i'm sliding in my stock seat a lot. haha (small driver 5' 3")
Rev Hard Wrote:Thanks man, yeah i'll be hitting it up soon. But i def. need some coilovers first. I can feel the body roll a bit, and i'm sliding in my stock seat a lot. haha (small driver 5' 3")

man i know how you feel i use to slide a lot in my prelude seats but then i upgraded to buddy club seats n its not a problem anymore
[Image: image.php?u=160&type=sigpic&dateline=1257829213]
Rev Hard Wrote:Thanks man, yeah i'll be hitting it up soon. But i def. need some coilovers first.

No2
- Ryan @ Injected Performance
SCCA Solo // #20 STS // Lexington, Louisville, Cincinnati, Dayton
ej815 Wrote:
Rev Hard Wrote:Thanks man, yeah i'll be hitting it up soon. But i def. need some coilovers first. I can feel the body roll a bit, and i'm sliding in my stock seat a lot. haha (small driver 5' 3")

man i know how you feel i use to slide a lot in my prelude seats but then i upgraded to buddy club seats n its not a problem anymore

How much did that cost you?

zoops Wrote:
Rev Hard Wrote:Thanks man, yeah i'll be hitting it up soon. But i def. need some coilovers first.
No2

??? Gotme