Announcements
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
NEED HELP ASAP PLEASE!
This has gone on far too long. I'm trying to remove the 6 LCA bolts on both sides of my car. I have 2 free, but cannot get the other 4 on account of they are all stripped.

I have to resort to cutting them off because what I have tried, (2 impact guns, torching, pry bar, numerous Dremel metal cutting disks, even drilling through the bolt), and all of their failures to get the job done.

Just focusing on one particular bolt for now, i have obliterated it. And yet, it still will not come out. I need help! Someone has to have some sort of knowledge of getting this shithead out of the LCA.

Front:

[Image: C9B78189-886B-4FA0-833D-D9446B61A70B_zps5luevdos.jpg]

Rear:

[Image: AE886FB9-5D7D-4C5F-A1D7-CA4AE9741AE8_zpszaatvnry.jpg]

Still able to pry shock from bolt/bushing.

[Image: D0726F87-CCFB-4901-98D0-2268BBC56C6E_zpsbtzhsjv2.jpg]

It is like this on both sides; able to move away from bushing when force applied.

[Image: C5512B9C-8993-4122-A438-344F66056D08_zpsz2kwcwsl.jpg]

Video:

[Image: th_F1590E4F-1C86-4AE6-B3FA-320185E574A1_zpsgq5yp92j.mp4]

My bushings are all still good and not torn from what I can see. And I really do not want to start cutting the LCA and the shock bottom if I do not have to.

Any advice is helpful! Thank you in advance!
Dominick

***Blud Syndicate***
***em1crew.com***
http://www.attackthedragon.com/home.html
Have you tried a Bolt/Screw Extractor.
[Image: 50201_2.jpg]

[Image: sku_297306_1.jpg]
[Image: 36362342012_1d0dc66730.jpg]
••••Bags are for the weak, drive it how you park it!! "Static All Day", it's a lifestyle!••••
(08-21-2015, 10:59 PM)EJDerrty8 Wrote:  Have you tried a Bolt/Screw Extractor.
http://media.homelandmachinery.com/media...0201_2.jpg

]http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_297306_1.jpg

That I haven't! But I ended up just ordering new LCA's entirely. I pretty much have to cut off my bushings to get at the old hardware. Might as well get new arms as well. I thank you though for the help!
Dominick

***Blud Syndicate***
***em1crew.com***
Extractor would probably never have got it out. It seems as bad as when I did mine. Mine were basically fused inside the bushing. I ended up having to cut everything up to get them out.
Yikes. That looks gnarly! As someone who has dealt with numerous rusted, stripped and seized bolts; I would cut the nut off the bolt and use a punch to drive it out. The only thing is I forgot if that nut is actually welded to the other side of the shock arm.

The reason why you're able to move it is because the bolt isn't connected to the bushing at all. It goes through one side of the shock arm, through a hollow metal tube bushing surrounded by rubber in the lca and into the other side of the shock arm, sometimes into a welded nut, sometimes not. The shock arm holds the bolt in place, and the bushing allows the control arm to rotate freely.

What it looks like is happening here, is that bolt is getting bound somewhere. You want that bolt to have a straight shot, no prying at the shock with a screwdriver or anything like that. After you have confirmed that the bolt isn't going into a welded nut on the other side and you have cut off either the bolt head or the nut, line up the holes as best as you can, and then take a punch and a hammer and just drive it out.

You'll have to get new nuts and bolts, but it's worth saving frustration, trust me. Let me know if you have any questions.
[Image: lugsig.jpg]
Cute Girl Aficionado. Honda Basher. Traditionalist. 27 Years Old. Mafia Stylus 893.261.6669. 性交の雌犬はお金を得る
Retired: This means I am not part of; or even vaguely interested in, your scenes, fads, meets, etc.

(08-22-2015, 12:46 AM)gunmtlh22 Wrote:  Extractor would probably never have got it out. It seems as bad as when I did mine. Mine were basically fused inside the bushing. I ended up having to cut everything up to get them out.

That's what I figured. I ended up just cutting the bushing and was able to get both LCA's off and piece out the remaining bolts.

(08-22-2015, 10:21 PM)Artikgrau325is Wrote:  Yikes. That looks gnarly! As someone who has dealt with numerous rusted, stripped and seized bolts; I would cut the nut off the bolt and use a punch to drive it out. The only thing is I forgot if that nut is actually welded to the other side of the shock arm.

The reason why you're able to move it is because the bolt isn't connected to the bushing at all. It goes through one side of the shock arm, through a hollow metal tube bushing surrounded by rubber in the lca and into the other side of the shock arm, sometimes into a welded nut, sometimes not. The shock arm holds the bolt in place, and the bushing allows the control arm to rotate freely.

What it looks like is happening here, is that bolt is getting bound somewhere. You want that bolt to have a straight shot, no prying at the shock with a screwdriver or anything like that. After you have confirmed that the bolt isn't going into a welded nut on the other side and you have cut off either the bolt head or the nut, line up the holes as best as you can, and then take a punch and a hammer and just drive it out.

You'll have to get new nuts and bolts, but it's worth saving frustration, trust me. Let me know if you have any questions.

Before I even discovered how bad these bolts were, I had ordered new bolts just to be on the up and up. THANK GOD I DID! haha! There is nothing left to these suckers. But I had tried the punch and sledge and that didn't work either. Oh well. The deed is done. Just waiting on the new stuffs to arrive.

I thank you both for the help!
Dominick

***Blud Syndicate***
***em1crew.com***