Announcements
Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Sudden Misfire HELP P0301 P0302 P0304 P1300
Hey guys need your help asap. I was on my way to work this morning and the car was running fine, then all of a sudden i felt a bog down in power, the motor just kind of stuttered for a bit but came back to normal.

A mile down the road my CEL starts to blink and then went solid. a short while later i hear the exhaust note change entirely, got super deep and i lost all low end power.

I turned around and came home and put my code scanner to it and came up with

P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0304 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P1300 - Random Misfire

So f me amiright? No idea what to do here. the car has less than 4k miles with a brand new ignition coil, plugs, wires, cap and rotor and 1400 since the last oil change. the compression test that was done a few months ago showed healthy numbers at the time. Should I redo the coil, plugs, wires, cap and rotor or should I look somewhere else?
[Image: sig6.jpg~original]
1996 EJ6 Sedan | Build Thread | Squad Decals| Premium Membership | Squad Lanyards
CRAZY HYPE!!! | HOT WHEELS
Check for spark first. Easy enough test to do by pulling a plug and setting the end towards a ground point. Once that's done, double check the cap and rotor. I would definitely start by looking there first.
[Image: 2wheel_500x200_zpsbedpcptg.jpg]
▫ #B34RSQUAD77 ▫ TallyImports.com ▫ Dixie SCCA STC #34 | Dixieland Imports SMF #188 ▫
TrackTUNED ▫ @srslyartyg ▫ Feeling Sticky Decals #FeelingStickyDecals ▫ EJ8Squad #737
I had the same symptoms the other day where it just bogs down and stutters for a few split seconds, very intermittent. I don't want to make you think it's the same issue as me, but for what it's worth I threw a code for TPS.

Other things to check; injectors also as noted the ignition components
Knowledge is horsepower
What coil did you go with when you replaced it? I've had brand new accel and aftermarket both fail quickly, only luck I had was a junkyard coil pull, and then finally a complete new distributor. I've seen a tps going out cause some crazy stuff also, could be a good point to check if you haven't already replaced.
Well I wasn't able to test much when I got home but I did start it to move it out of the driveway and she fired right up no problem and didn't sound strange like it did this morning. Seems like it's only happening when the motor gets hot

It is an accel coil, along with accel cap and rotor and ngk plugs
1996 EJ6 Sedan | Build Thread | Squad Decals| Premium Membership | Squad Lanyards
Okay, that makes sense then. When those ambient temperatures rise the cheap aftermarket parts get finicky. Honda is the only ones that make it right when it comes to ignition. Your best bet is to hit up the junkyard unless you want to spend an arm or leg on dealership parts.
Knowledge is horsepower
Well this happened at a bad time as I'm out of town until Thursday. After searching online, this dudes car overheated and warped the intake manifold just enough that the gasket started to fail and then it leaned out and caused these same issues.

I've overheated twice this year when the radiator return hose and then a heater hose blew on the highway.

When I get back I'm going to do the propane method if not the brake cleaner / carb cleaner method to try and hunt it down.
So I did a few tests today, spraying starter fluid around the throttle body and intake didn't cause the rpm to go up so that rules out a leak from there.

Unplugging each injector dropped the idle significantly so they seem to be working well. Fuel pressure at the filter via a B&M gauge shows 30lbs.

Pulling the plug wires affected the idle in the same way as the injectors except for cylinder #2 which seemed not to phase it at all.

The wire is stuck in the cylinder right now, as soon as I can get it out I'll try a different plug and wire combo.

Update: got the seized boot off the plug and checked for spark at the plug side of the wire and it was working. Reseated the same wire with a new boot and tried unplugging it at idle and it now drops the idle like all the other plugs.
Update 2: so with the fuel pressure being 8lbs below recommended we started digging around the fuel system. Started by pulling the vacuum line off the fpr and fuel pressure jumped to 40 lbs and the idle was great, no sound of misfire.

We plugged the manifold and went for a drive and she drove perfectly. So a failing fuel pump seems to be the cause of all this, a new one is on its way.
WAlbro 190?