Announcements
Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
excessive engine vibration?
hello, my car rumbles with my engine. and my shifter too feels like a phone on vibrate in my hand when im driving.

my question is this: (assuming engine mounts can help) does that mean i have bad motor mounts or good ones?

i dont understand what its suppose to be? after market offers stiffer ones then OEM(i think?) but would that still make the car vibrate more? what would be benefits of stiffer or even softer engine mounts?

its been vibrating heavy since i got the car (3 years ago). maybe its my exhaust rattling my shift linkage.

also when i got to say 6k rpm in 2nd gear and just let off the gas instantly (dont know if this is bad) the car jerks forward i feel (or back and forth). i never been in another civic so i dont know if its normal or the mounts cant handle the engine.

sorry for so many questions and brackets. but thank you for reading
D16Y8 1999 SI, rear discs

i dont have any car buddies, none of my friends have a car. this is my only car talk spot.
(01-24-2015, 03:12 AM)chrisftw Wrote:  hello, my car rumbles with my engine. and my shifter too feels like a phone on vibrate in my hand when im driving.

my question is this: (assuming engine mounts can help) does that mean i have bad motor mounts or good ones?

i dont understand what its suppose to be? after market offers stiffer ones then OEM(i think?) but would that still make the car vibrate more? what would be benefits of stiffer or even softer engine mounts?

its been vibrating heavy since i got the car (3 years ago). maybe its my exhaust rattling my shift linkage.

also when i got to say 6k rpm in 2nd gear and just let off the gas instantly (dont know if this is bad) the car jerks forward i feel (or back and forth). i never been in another civic so i dont know if its normal or the mounts cant handle the engine.

sorry for so many questions and brackets. but thank you for reading

flooring it to 6k and letting off will make the car slightly jerk your propelling an object forward and letting off....But my guess would be motor mounts. They may be cracked, if your on a budget you can always get motor mount inserts. I had Energy suspension inserts on my 2004 sentra and they worked great. with the help of my stage 2 clutch I would chirp going into 4th gear....LOL
(01-25-2015, 04:54 AM)BiGrEd Wrote:  But my guess would be motor mounts. They may be cracked, if your on a budget you can always get motor mount inserts.

im not saying im baller, but what if i get new mounts? are the motor inserts suppose to be put into fresh engine mounts or would putting them in say cracked mounts ruin the inserts quicker as i would think they would be bearing more load then they are expected to?

but then if i get new motor mounts (or just inserts) does that make the car rumble more or less? like vibration to the shifting hand?
D16Y8 1999 SI, rear discs

i dont have any car buddies, none of my friends have a car. this is my only car talk spot.
dont get the inserts. they dont work..

If your poor, then look to the window weld mod which seems to hold up.
Open the hood and have someone rev the engine and slowly drive it back and forward. Any major engine movement would let you know if you have a bad mount. Some movement is normal but if it looks like its about to do a barrel roll under the hood than you have a problem.
(01-25-2015, 06:29 AM)chrisftw Wrote:  
(01-25-2015, 04:54 AM)BiGrEd Wrote:  But my guess would be motor mounts. They may be cracked, if your on a budget you can always get motor mount inserts.

im not saying im baller, but what if i get new mounts? are the motor inserts suppose to be put into fresh engine mounts or would putting them in say cracked mounts ruin the inserts quicker as i would think they would be bearing more load then they are expected to?

but then if i get new motor mounts (or just inserts) does that make the car rumble more or less? like vibration to the shifting hand?

if the mounts are cracked just get new mounts. I have used motor mount inserts and had great luck with them. Energy Suspension makes good stuff. So in my opinion they do in fact work. chirping 4th is a difficult thing to do lol.
well, let me re-phrase that.. they will work until they wear out..

If you can not drive your car for 2 days, just take off each mount, clean out the old rubber, pour in the window weld and let cure for a day. This method has worked and is like having 62a urethane mounts..

But the insetrs will work if your just puttin around town.. but limited time if your going thru the paces.
(01-30-2015, 01:49 AM)EsotericImage Wrote:  well, let me re-phrase that.. they will work until they wear out..

If you can not drive your car for 2 days, just take off each mount, clean out the old rubber, pour in the window weld and let cure for a day. This method has worked and is like having 62a urethane mounts..

But the insetrs will work if your just puttin around town.. but limited time if your going thru the paces.

Bananalama
(01-25-2015, 06:53 PM)gunmtlh22 Wrote:  Open the hood and have someone rev the engine and slowly drive it back and forward. Any major engine movement would let you know if you have a bad mount. Some movement is normal but if it looks like its about to do a barrel roll under the hood than you have a problem.
Just thought this was hilarious, (if engine is about to do a barrel roll you have problems) hahahahaha ,I'd say so to haha