Announcements
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
road trip preparation
hello, i know this is early but i just want to be ready for anything.

im going on a car trip to Pennsylvania in april and i want to know what kind of maintenance i should do before hand or be on the look out for in coming months.

im on winters with no summers so i know id have to get tires. and i can guess an oil change. but other then those im not really sure what else should be prepped for a 8+/- hour car ride.

never been on a "road trip" or longer than 2 hours continuous drive in my civic.

thank you
D16Y8 1999 SI, rear discs

i dont have any car buddies, none of my friends have a car. this is my only car talk spot.
Oil change, check all tires(as you already mentioned). Check all fluids and make sure they are good to go and that's really about it. I've made plenty of 8 hr+ trips and never ran into issues. Like I said definitely make sure all fluids are good from tranny to antifreeze etc. and you should be good to go
alright thank you, i dont know the fluid history of my car so i guess it would be best bet to change everything anyways.

i dont have any car buddies, none of my friends have a car. this is my only car talk spot.
I would make a short list of the what if this happens what would I need.

1. Tools (lil tool kit)
2. Spare tire with jack
3. Jug of water (anti-freeze)
4. 1 or 2 qts of oil

feel free to add to the list. just some suggestions.
WaIt tIl YoU sEe GoD!!! ThEn BrAkE!!
FAMILY GUY MEMBER #12 (GIGGITY)
EJ8 OFFICIAL # 678 WHOOT WOO! Rock

(01-12-2015, 07:15 PM)civickrazy Wrote:  2. Spare tire with jack

i guess only a full size spare would do? mind you its only like half a week so i wont actually have like luggage.

I would recommend doing all these maintenance items like a month ahead of time so that you have time to drive the car before taking off. If you accidentally mess up on something you'd be glad to find out before driving so far. Basically make sure everything is stable afterwards. May be a little over protective but that's what I'd do.