Announcements
Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 2.8 Average
Turbo OBD2 civic and NY Inspection
So I have my civic looking very nice and almost how I want it to but I don't want to get into another shell to go turbo. Is it worth it to just swap the turbo stuff out once a year? What would be the minimum I would need to swap back to besides ecu, injectors and stock exhuast for Inspection?
Also there is a catch, my girlfriend has a 1999 EX in VSM also....same exact car as me. If I find a mechanic who will scan my registration and they just use her car for the inspection, would that work?
(07-25-2014, 01:50 PM)JJT315 Wrote:  Also there is a catch, my girlfriend has a 1999 EX in VSM also....same exact car as me. If I find a mechanic who will scan my registration and they just use her car for the inspection, would that work?

That would land you and the guy in jail.

also why wont your car pass?
Do they do a visual inspection or just an obd2 scan?

If all they do is an obd2 scan then you can remove put stock in and swap ecu. Just dont hit boost and it should be ok.

If they visual inspect the car then your have to swap everything .
Wiring Master. I also have ShopKey for 89-2002 so if you need diagrams or help PM me.
xile6 on PSN i play alot of killzone, battle field, and socom.
"she said she needed a 710 cap"
MY EJ8 Build Thread
MY turbo AC build
^^
stock ECU also means stock injectors.
I live in my with a turbo y8. The best solution I have for a daily driven ej8 is 440 injectors and a vafc2 to tune it. It's not the best but I have passed an inspection for 8-9 years like this. Another option is stock injectors and a rising rate fuel pressure regulator.
(07-28-2014, 09:27 AM)Whitecivic Wrote:  I live in my with a turbo y8. The best solution I have for a daily driven ej8 is 440 injectors and a vafc2 to tune it. It's not the best but I have passed an inspection for 8-9 years like this. Another option is stock injectors and a rising rate fuel pressure regulator.

no no no, such bad information.

If he runs the turbo it needs to be tune. He can use an aem fic to stay obd2.
Or just simply swap injectors and ecu for emission.
Remove the wastegate spring and all will be good.
Wiring Master. I also have ShopKey for 89-2002 so if you need diagrams or help PM me.
MY EJ8 Build Thread
MY turbo AC build
The fic will work but not all that much better than the vafc. I was a tester for the original fic software and I went back to this. Like I said it's not ideal but does the job for daily driving. If I could I would do obd 1 ecu but that involves swaping too many things for inspection.
^
I dont see it working.. What will your AFR's be? Theres a reason why people dont go this route anymore. [Image: boom.gif]

and theres no guarantee that youll pass inspection

If anything.. the Greddy blue box should work, its not the best, but alot better then what your trying to do.
(07-31-2014, 03:36 PM)Whitecivic Wrote:  The fic will work but not all that much better than the vafc. I was a tester for the original fic software and I went back to this. Like I said it's not ideal but does the job for daily driving. If I could I would do obd 1 ecu but that involves swaping too many things for inspection.

Thats not true.
I run the aem fic and dont have a problem with it. Its no where near a vafc. You control the fuel injectors independent of the map sensor. Add or remove as much fuel as you want. Retard timing easily. the factory ecu doesnt fight with it and i can hold my afr where ever i want it.
I run software 3.05
and
i passed obd2 scan 2 yrs in a roll with the fic. The first tech was surprised and the second one didnt even know it was turbo.

I do really believe its the best setup if you need to stay obd2.

you could very while go obd1 and just remove the turbo before emission time. Then put it back once you pass.
MY EJ8 Build Thread
MY turbo AC build