Announcements

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Tipping Waiters?
So I know this is random, but it's a pet peeve of mine. Obviously if you're a rational person with any sense of kindness or morality, you're going to tip your waiter. At the same time, waiters frustrate the crap out of me (I hope I'm stepping on no ones shoes).

First of all, you act like you're my best friend. I go to a restraunt to eat food, not hear your life story.

Secondly, I don't understand why they complain about making (2.75/hr?) what you make... YOU SIGNED UP FOR THIS, and it's what the market demands. It's not my problem you don't get paid.

Lastly, you're going to spit in my food if I don't tip you? ... Well, I'm going to shoot your child if you don't give me a thousand dollars (not really)?

I tip waiters, I'm not saying I don't. There's just a few things that piss me off when it comes to waiters.

Thoughts? I know, I'm an asshole.
- Show me the scientific breakthroughs due to evolution.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Image: jh7txf.jpg]
I normally tip 25% and I'll subtract as I see fit depending on service.
[Image: sig6.jpg~original]
1996 EJ6 Sedan | Build Thread | Squad Decals| Premium Membership | Squad Lanyards
CRAZY HYPE!!! | HOT WHEELS
(07-09-2014, 10:59 AM)Kallar68 Wrote:  I normally tip 25% and I'll subtract as I see fit depending on service.

I usually always do 20%.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I usually tip the 25. The main thing I subtract for is if my cup is sitting there and I'm not getting attention or refills. That's my biggest pet peeve. I see them walking back and forth and ignoring our table. I'll even put the cup near the edge. If I have to go out of my way to ask or even have to flag a different server down is when I drop to 15% it's rare that I leave anything less but it's happened.
[Image: sig6.jpg~original]
1996 EJ6 Sedan | Build Thread | Squad Decals| Premium Membership | Squad Lanyards
CRAZY HYPE!!! | HOT WHEELS
I normally tip 15-20%. I try not to deduct that percentage based on thing out of the waiters control. Good not being cooked right, food taking forever, etc. I can't say I have ever stiffed a waiter, unless Sonic counts. But Sonic waitresses usually make $7-8 an hour instead of normal server money. I have never been a waiter, but I try to take care of mine when I get good service.

Bartenders on the other hand are another story. I'll tip a $1 on my first beer and that's it, unless it's a bar I frequent. Mixed drinks I'll tip $1 on each time.
(07-09-2014, 10:50 AM)CbearCore Wrote:  Secondly, I don't understand why they complain about making (2.75/hr?) what you make... YOU SIGNED UP FOR THIS, and it's what the market demands. It's not my problem you don't get paid.

This is exactly why I do not believe in the tip system. I heard the stories, yes they need tips to survive because their hourly rate is ridiculously low, but they're in that position because of their own choices.

I'm an electrician, I don't recall ever getting tipped for putting in lights in hallways, stairways and entryways so people don't trip over something because they're too damn busy looking at their phones.

I don't think the carpenters were tipped for building the house you sleep in, or the plumbers for making sure you have running water. Hell, I don't think the fellas in Ohio got tipped for building my car.

Arguably, these jobs are more important than placing food in front of you to stuff your face with. So why does it all come down to the food service industry?

Because that's where it was born. But you see, tipping was not something you did after a meal, in gratitude for good service from your waiter or waitress. T.I.P.ping (which means To Insure Promptness) money given to the host to ensure that you were seated and served before everyone else. Obviously, this catered to the rich and high class. They could walk right past you and get seated, even if you'd been waiting in line for an hour.

All in all, I tip just because I'm accustomed to it. If I can afford to go out and eat, then a dropping a little more for someone who dropped everything they were doing to make sure I was having a pleasant meal is more than worth it.

Do I agree with how the food industry treats its employees and makes them depend on tips as their sole livelyhood? Absolutely not. Do I appreciate someone actually catering to me? Sure. I can see both sides of it, and in most cases, they've rightfully earned it from me.

That being said, I can be a very generous tipper. 50% or more for great service. 10% for mediocre service.
[Image: lugsig.jpg]
Cute Girl Aficionado. Honda Basher. Traditionalist. 27 Years Old. Mafia Stylus 893.261.6669. 性交の雌犬はお金を得る
Retired: This means I am not part of; or even vaguely interested in, your scenes, fads, meets, etc.

I start at 20% and move up or down depending on the quality of service they provide. Yes, you are right that they chose a job that gives them shitty wages; however, they get a shitty wage because they expect to make up the difference in tips from their customers. Is that crap? Absolutely. Is that the servers fault? Hell no. It's the food industry that created this system, they get to pay their employees (at most) minimum wage and make us (the customer) not only pay for food and drink but also to pay their employee's wages.

I don't see how they're going to spit in your food if you don't tip them...you don't tip them until after you eat. It is true that you risk them messing with your food if you act like a dick. Seems like pretty good motivation to act like a decent human being, not that anyone should need prompting for that. Gotme
Jackie-O Wrote:My house is home to the illusive, yet powerful, Nom Noms. He will eat your babbys. His eyes are like laser beams, his claws are sharp talons. He slaps like a pimp and makes dogs run in fear.
Your resident smartass mod.
4 Doors FTW

I couldn't agree more ^ I'd say it's the industry that's messed up. Honestly (even though it would give waiters no incentive to be courteous) if they would just include tip in the bill before hand I would be more than okay with that.
As a tipped employee im going to break it down for you.

The waiter has to tip the rest of the people:

The bar usually gets 5% for the bar sales.

The food runner gets 3% of total sales

The busser gets 3% of total sales.

So 11% total

So your bill for a steak and few drinks comes to 60 bucks. Typical tip is 18% but ill round up for easy math. 20% of 60 is 12 bucks. subtract 11% for the house is 1.32.

So that leaves 10.68 left for the server.. but wait theres more! If you paid with a debit card, the srver has to pay the service charge for you using a debit card. Not the restaurant. So thats another 2.25% on top of everything and everyone. so thats roughly 1.25. 10.68-1.25= 9.43 your server gets to take home.

We dont make a normal minimum wage, we make 3.00 an hour. If people like us werent there to serve you your food, fill your drinks, get your extra ketchup, every restaurant in America would be like a cafeteria. Now Im sure you and your other half would get rather tired of getting your own stuff and eating whatever food they decided to cook for you. Because really, they would just cook the same crap like Golden Corral does since theres no one to serve you. It would be just like some Army mess hall or a Golden Corral.

Bottom line is, if you didnt have to wait for your drinks, food, or anythng else you may have needed to make your dining experience enjoyable, then why not give a few extra bucks to the person responsible for making it happen? If its going to break the bank to give a 20 on a 60 dollar tab? If so then you shouldnt be eating out and take your ass to taco bell.

Now if your in a bar or club and you know your going to be there a while and that place gets packed. Tip the bartender a 10 or 20 right from the start. Not only will he remember you, but he will make sure your served 1st over all the other guys and gals tipping a buck on a 15 dollar martini and he might just comp you a round. ALWAYS TIP THE DISCOUNT! If your rounds are 20 bucks each and you had 5 of them that would cost you 100 plus whatever tip.. But since its costing you 80. The 20 you saved goes as a tip and the normal tip that would be on the original 100 is still in your pocket. See how this works?

You might be a kool individual but theres asshole out there. And Im not taking their abuse for 8.00/hr. Im not making their drinks for 8.00/hr

Those 8.00/hr jobs are for high school kids at burger king. You want to impress that hot girl and get laid. We can help you do it as long as you tip fairly.
(07-09-2014, 11:15 PM)EsotericImage Wrote:  If people like us werent there to serve you your food, fill your drinks, get your extra ketchup, every restaurant in America would be like a cafeteria.

Not really. Restaurants would just increase all prices by 20% or more and pay you $8-9 an hour. The system is broken because of government interference and them setting a minimum wage of a server. It varies by state, but the system is broken IMO.

I've never understood why tipping works the way it does here. In other countries, it's not this way. For the business, I'm sure they come out on the better end with this system. For me, I could never be a server. I once was kicked out of a bar because a bartender got smart with me and said "You obviously have never worked in the food industry." My reply? "You're right, I do better things with my time." That's not to poop on any servers. I value what you do and I'm appreciative of it. But, if you get smart with me and are a jerk, it's just like any other job where someone can give you feedback. That evening, that was my feedback.

Word to the wise, don't say that to a bartender unless you've waited 20 minutes for a beer when there was NOBODY in line at the bar. Then it's warranted.