Announcements

Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 3.3 Average
First hand gun recommendation: Update pg 4 Glock 4 purchased
I know there are a few threads on hand gun recommendations but I'm starting another one. :p

I told Tammi that I have an intro in purchasing a hand gun. She was cool about it and she asked how much would one be and where would use put it?

I know there are a lot of hand gun owners of here so I would like the hand gun owners recommendations on a first hand gun and a lock box.

Has anyone purchased a used hand gun from your local police and or sheriff department? Is this a viable option?

Thanks
Romans 3:23
English Standard Version (ESV)

for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
What will you be using it for? Carry? Home defense? Just wanting to go plink at the range? Will your wife want to shoot it?
Oh yeah I forgot to mention what it would be used for. Right now I'm thinking of just going to the range with it. As far as Tammi, shooting it, honestly I didn't ask if she would be interested in it. I'll have to get back to you on that.

If you just want something to plink with, get a .22. Cheapest thing to shoot. It's fun to shoot a .40 at the range, but at $20 for 50 rounds, it gets expensive quick. .22 can be had for $6 or less per 50.

I've actually been researching .22's because I plan on picking one up. I've decided on the Beretta Neos. From all the reviews I've read I like it and it felt pretty good in my hand. And for the price, you can't beat it. There are also pretty easy to break down and clean as opposed to some of the other .22's (browning buck mark and ruger MKIII.) .22's are great pistols to learn to shoot on and are dirt cheap to shoot all day. If all you are looking for is something for the range and you want to keep it cheap, .22 without a doubt.

Best piece of advice I can give though is going to your local gun shop and talking to them. There's a few really good gun shops around me and the guys just love to talk about guns and help out newbs like myself. See what used guns they have and what they would recommend as well.

Also, if you are new to guns, check out your local range and see what kind of classes they offer. Usually they'll offer a intro class on guns and how to use them, safety, cleaning and what not. In TN, they cover most of that in the carry permit classes. Which, even if you aren't going to carry, going through that class is super helpful.

I've only gotten into the hobby in the last couple years, but I've learned a lot in that time span.

As far as lockboxes, that will be my next purchase whenever I get a .22. So I have nothing to offer there
For a multipurpose gun I'd go with a 9mm. Ammo isn't outrageous so target shooting won't cost you a ton and it will still have some knockdown power if you ever had to use it for protection. I've bought a fewguns over the years from members of law enforcement and wouldn't hesitate to buy from one again. Most of them rely on their weapons to keep themselves safe so they usually are taken care of. A .22 also wouldn't be bad either but finding ammo for it, at least here in al, can be difficult.
back in the day i was looking to get a Ruger P95

http://www.basspro.com/Ruger-P95-9mm-Lug.../10218237/

I posted up this gun in another firum and and an Army Vet picked it up and said it was a decent gun for the price.
Thanks for are all recommendations and tops so far. Below are some tid-bits.

I have put a budget of $500 for my first gun purchase. This includes just to gun.

Going to with a 9mm. I've shot both a .22 revolver and a 9mm pistol and the .22 wasn't very impressive.

This hand gun will be have double duty of going to a firing range as well home protection.

At this point I'm unsure if I will ever conceal and carry this hand gun.

As far as other recommendations I've received. Mike (Artik) is partial to Sig Sauer and gave me his recommendations that is within my budget, a Sig Sauer SP2022.

I have a co-worker who has a Smith & Wesson M&PC he has barely used for $400. What are the thoughts on this gun?

Keep this thread going.

My buddy had the S&W M&P and I hated the trigger on it. It was real jerky and I wasn't very accurate with it compared to my Taurus 24/7. That thing had a trigger like butter and it was wonderful. I've also shot the P95 and a Bersa Thunder 9mm and was impressed with both. For $500, you'll have a lot of options.

I know a .22 is unimpressive, but it's the most fun you'll have with your pants on at a gun range IMO.
For a range gun: go with a .22, for cheap guns AND ammo.

If you start to carry: Go with Glock. Many sizes and calibers to choose from, all equally reliable and easy to care for.
No more EJ8.
Artikgrau325is and terriyockeeboi each Wrote:I always imagine an officer wearing an American flag as a cape, just tackling the hell out of someone and saying, "You're under arrest. For America." Then the COPS theme song plays. / I actually like salvage cars more because they're like car zombies.
/ It's what he gets for driving an EG Dodgy
My current carry is a Springfield xd9 and I love it. The best thing to do is try and find a gun store/range that will let you rent handguns to shoot and actually try a few out. That's the best way to go if you find a shop near you that does this. What we like may be horrible to you due to different preferences in weight, action, trigger pull, etc.