Announcements

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.17 Average
Wheel/Tire choices
Hello All,

Just need a bit of advise/suggestions on my wheel/tire purchase. I have decided to ditch the stock 14 inch steelies with mismatched tires for a new set of rims/rubber. This is my first aftermarket wheel buy, my previous cars either had rims when I bought the car, or in the sake of my GS-R had great stock rims to begin with.

This being my first Civic, I need some help deciding on size/offset etc. I do plan on lowering the car soon, but most likely after the wheel purchase. My plan for this will be to go the Koni Yellow/GC route or a set of Tein or Muguen lowering springs with replacement stock type shocks. Just looking for a mild drop of about an inch or 1.25. I figure that, combined with either a 15 or 16 inch rim should put the stance right where I need it to be. Lower, but not too low, with less wheel gap then I have now.

So, are my suspension plans on par with someone who desires a mild to medium drop while still having decent ride comfort?

I also gather from doing alot of reading that many if not most run 15 or 16 inch rims. The days of 17 in and over on this car seem to be all but gone. With that said, do you all lean towards 15 inch or 16 inch diameter? I was planning on maybe some Rota Grids in 15x6.5 or 16x7 +38 or +40 respectively. Is 7 inch too wide of a diameter to fit well? And the offsets of 38 and 40 shouldn't be a problem, correct? And lastly for tires, it looks like I can go 195/55/15 or 205/45/16..will these sizes go well with the respective wheel sizes? Thanks for all the help in advance. If I have asked anything that's already been mentioned before, I apologize. My questions were numerous and I didn't find the answers in the forums.
VSM FTW Rock
Hey man. I love reading your posts haha they're so detailed. Basically from what I learned since I've been getting into this stance thing is wider wheels will need more camber. I lean towards 15 and 16 would be my max. I don't worry too much about offset since my wheels are cheap and I don't really care much about deep dish and crap like that. Here's some help my friend has 15x8 -25 offset 165/45/15s in the front. Then in the back he has 15x10 -30 offset runnin 195/45/15 on -17 camber. And uh... from what I've seen not too many people are fan of Rotas. Apparently they're "fake" whatever that's supposed to mean.

[Image: 1175419_197172237121914_2146967289_n.jpg...e=52344B2D]
[Image: 1234085_197172303788574_1871111874_n.jpg...e=52343356]
Green EJ8 "Holly": Retired 5/23/14
Black Ej7 "Gabby"

Instagram: Ej7_Bryan
(09-12-2013, 03:48 PM)EJ8Bryan Wrote:  https://scontent-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...e=52344B2D

Mother of God. What is wrong with today's youth? It looks like an EG door handle. Is it an EG?

I prefer 15's. Cheaper tires. But 16's are doable and look fine as well. It's really personal preference. And by that I mean, search around and look at pictures of 15's and 16's on Civic and see what you like. As far as style, that's up to you. Don't let us tell you what looks cool. If you like 17's, do 17's. You may catch some hate, but at the end of the day it's about what you want your car to look like not everyone else. If the guy with the photo above is happy with non functional wheels, terrible looking camber and replacing tires every 5k miles, then good for him. If he's happy, then that's all that matters.

Also, there's this thing when raising or lowering a vehicle called "inchitis." You're always gonna want to go more. 1.25" isn't gonna give you much of a difference and kind of a waste of money to go with Koni/GC set up. And, with a 15" wheels won't look that great either. I suggest 2" minimum for any car. That is still gonna give enough clearance for speed bumps and what not and look a lot better IMO.
He's in love with his setup. He's just waiting for his rear tires to get here so he can stretch em. I'm actually thinking of making my build a little similar to his but wider wheels and a tiny bit more camber. But excalibur is right you'll always want to go lower. I'm probably gonna drop mine another 3/4 of an inch, get an alignment and call it a day.
Black Ej7 "Gabby"

There is a guy riding around my town with a white eg hatch with wheels like that but he has the same offset up front also. He turned around the corner where I was and even though he took the turn at walking speed his back wheels we're just constantly rubbing even after he got it straite again it looked so stupid cause his wheels we're at a 40 degree angle and you could actually see that only like two inches tops maybe 3 inches was actually touching the ground...defeating the purpose of having the wider wheels. looks cool till you look at the stupid camber, why not cut and re weld the lower control arm and box it in with flat bar for streangth it would be stronger than stock and your cool wheels wont look stupid.

About the rotas WHO THE EFF CARES THAT YOU HAVE ROTAS?!? Are you buying them for someone else, if not why does it matter if they do not like them? Is your honda running 8's on the track, I've had drag wheels same as rota and they were stolen just as quick as "real" wheels and I loved the poo out of them.
Yeah if he gets camber wear he'll just flip em. But I def agree with you about Rotas and Drags and all the "reps" Someone here had a similar argument lol. Rotas will work dude. I would prefer the gt3's or J mags but looks is up to you Vin.
Black Ej7 "Gabby"

(09-12-2013, 04:48 PM)EJ8Bryan Wrote:  Yeah if he gets camber wear he'll just flip em. But I def agree with you about Rotas and Drags and all the "reps" Someone here had a similar argument lol. Rotas will work dude. I would prefer the gt3's or J mags but looks is up to you Vin.

Rota's will work for me, that's for sure. I just want to clarify something here before we get into another "real" vs. "fake" rim/part/ what is/isn't JDM yada yada. I am well aware that Rota's are replica wheels that are cast and not forged. They also don't have a fancy name like SPOON or MUGEN or RAYS attached to them. See, the thing is, I don't give an EFF. I'm not a young kid in HS anymore who cares what his "friends" think, or what people in the Honda scene think. I was just throwing my idea's out to you all for some advise and recommendations. The last thing i want is for this thread to go negative. I have lived in Japan in the past, for years actually. Being totally "JDM" is really nothing but a waste of money IMO. I laugh at the guys who spend 85 bucks on a Mugen fan switch just because it "came from Japan". It ain't that serious ya'll. Do what you like and be happy. Be confident in yourself and don't change the way you want to do something because (insert "friend"/Internet Cornball here) said otherwise. And 1 last thing. Don't get me wrong, I love authentic parts, weather they are USDM or JDM, but if you think I am spending a few hundred dollars less than I paid for an entire CAR on wheels, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I would like to sell you. Rant over. About my wheel choices...I like the ideas so far, keep em coming. I do want just a regular stance tho. No weird camber or wild ass *poopy*. Just need to know what offsets and how low to go to just get a clean look.
VSM FTW Rock
(09-12-2013, 03:48 PM)EJ8Bryan Wrote:  https://scontent-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...e=52344B2D
https://scontent-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...e=52343356

that looks retarded
[Image: file-4-1.jpg]1998 civic ex-t 214/192
Life quote
"i remember spandex and fat asses, i dont remember faces"
(09-12-2013, 08:04 PM)ssj2 Wrote:  
https://scontent-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...e=52343356

that looks retarded

I think you are being too nice.
But, whatever makes you happy. Not my kinda thing, but if he likes it that's all that matters in the end.
VSM FTW Rock
I feel ya though vinnie. We've had the real vs fake debate here before with another member. Do you my friend whatever you think looks good. The "clean look" to me would be standard deep dish and small drop.
[Image: 1c16787904a301-570x381.jpg]

Personally though, I'm more into crazy stance. The how low can you go type stuff. I'll leave this here just in case you change your mind about the clean look.
[Image: 557545_512294478857159_648185450_n.jpg]
Black Ej7 "Gabby"