Announcements

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Top level national builds - paid for, but not built by the owners
I was really excited to read the latest issue of Import Tuner because a really sweet Subaru from IAG Performance graced the cover. IAG is a localish shop that's gaining national attention.

Come to find out the build is owned by a girl up in MD who just threw a bunch of money at IAG and did none of the work herself. Didn't even finish reading the article at first.

When I finally got around to finishing the interview. Owner was "introduced" to what a tucked and shaved engine bay was, and literally said "I had no idea how to do any of that work, but knew I had to have it." Owner literally paid IAG 900 hours of labor on the build. 900 hours. That's a lot of f'n money. How can you have any pride in your "build" if all it is is a money dump of an investment? SMH...

Beautiful car, beautiful work by IAG, but owner did none of the work themself = no respect.

[Image: 6307228190_a9af60bdc1_b.jpg]

[Image: 6307227374_e1de6f61b0_b.jpg]
[Image: 84009000.jpg]
My DIY Guides: VSM Painting | Sound Deadening
CTR Style EJ8 - Sold, Good Memories | Stage 2 05 STi - Sold and Missed | Stage 2 02 WRX - Built and Loved
wow, car is beautiful, its a shame it doesn't have a deserving owner.
[Image: sig6.jpg~original]
1996 EJ6 Sedan | Build Thread | Squad Decals| Premium Membership | Squad Lanyards
CRAZY HYPE!!! | HOT WHEELS
Bought not built, but nice car is still nice. Smile
[Image: pzLfBoW.jpg]
-Jon // Facebook // PSN: HelloPekkle  // Instagram // 1998 Civic EX #373 * * * *
Yeah, IAG does great work. They also are responsible for this:

[Image: IMG_0706.jpg]
CTR Style EJ8 - Sold, Good Memories | Stage 2 05 STi - Sold and Missed | Stage 2 02 WRX - Built and Loved
built or bought, it still takes money, and some one that enjoys "building" a car. i know tons of people that are that way, would rather throw money at it than than time, if it wasnt for these people there would be no such thing as a performance shop,and a lot of people i know would be out a job. Its all how far you want to go, and what you are willing to try, i still respect these people
[Image: crop_zps209d4f12.png]
EJ8#339 "Its just a Honda" Daily 378WHP and still 30MPG low boost
pump gas, 500+whp on c16 SOLD!
1995 240sx 349whp @ 15psi,2j swap in the worksninja
(10-07-2012, 08:08 PM)Alpha.kx Wrote:  Beautiful car, beautiful work by IAG, but owner did none of the work themself = no respect

Huh? So you don't respect a Lamborghini owner because they bought their high performance exotic VS. building a *insert car here*?

I've never understood the notion of "built not bought" and all that jazz. Who gives a damn how a car gets put together? If I'm dumping a bunch of money into something that I'd like to enjoy, I'd like for it to be built correctly and I know I couldn't so yeah, I'd Pay somebody. Does that make me any less of an enthusiast? Does that make the car any less cool? No. Some people have the means to pay someone to do the work for them. No reason to punish the owner over something as petty as "well they didn't 'build' it."

Your logic also goes like this:

Homeowners who didn't build their house shouldn't be proud of it because it was bought not built by them.
It's really not a big deal dude. Lol. Btw, that car is f***ing beautiful!
[Image: EddieCustom-1.jpg]
IAG must have been proud that the owner was willing to pay them to put their work in that car but I think it would of meant a lot more to the owner if she had pour her sweat into the build than having someone else do it. Either way that thing is nice!
(10-07-2012, 10:08 PM)turbo-2nr Wrote:  built or bought, it still takes money, and some one that enjoys "building" a car. i know tons of people that are that way, would rather throw money at it than than time, if it wasnt for these people there would be no such thing as a performance shop,and a lot of people i know would be out a job. Its all how far you want to go, and what you are willing to try, i still respect these people

I respect the owner's taste. She does have great taste and selected all the exterior pieces. However, the interview states that she had no idea how to do a shaved/tucked bay and someone talked her into it. "Hey, you should really do this!" "Oh, okay, durrrrrrrrr." I have more respect for those that did the work than the person who owns it.

(10-07-2012, 10:35 PM)Excalibur35 Wrote:  Huh? So you don't respect a Lamborghini owner because they bought their high performance exotic VS. building a *insert car here*?

I've never understood the notion of "built not bought" and all that jazz. Who gives a damn how a car gets put together? If I'm dumping a bunch of money into something that I'd like to enjoy, I'd like for it to be built correctly and I know I couldn't so yeah, I'd Pay somebody. Does that make me any less of an enthusiast? Does that make the car any less cool? No. Some people have the means to pay someone to do the work for them. No reason to punish the owner over something as petty as "well they didn't 'build' it."

Who do you respect more, Picasso or the person who bought his painting?
(10-08-2012, 08:35 AM)Alpha.kx Wrote:  
(10-07-2012, 10:08 PM)turbo-2nr Wrote:  built or bought, it still takes money, and some one that enjoys "building" a car. i know tons of people that are that way, would rather throw money at it than than time, if it wasnt for these people there would be no such thing as a performance shop,and a lot of people i know would be out a job. Its all how far you want to go, and what you are willing to try, i still respect these people

I respect the owner's taste. She does have great taste and selected all the exterior pieces. However, the interview states that she had no idea how to do a shaved/tucked bay and someone talked her into it. "Hey, you should really do this!" "Oh, okay, durrrrrrrrr." I have more respect for those that did the work than the person who owns it.

(10-07-2012, 10:35 PM)Excalibur35 Wrote:  Huh? So you don't respect a Lamborghini owner because they bought their high performance exotic VS. building a *insert car here*?

Who do you respect more, Picasso or the person who bought his painting?

The person that bought the painting because Picasso was crazy.

Who do you respect more: a homeowner or the contractors that built the home? It's an endless discussion we could have, but it's just stupid IMO. Some people have money some people don't. Just because someone can have a car built for them doesn't make it any less respectable.