Announcements

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
Weekly Bible: Romans Chapter 1
This thread will be the place where the new weekly bible study will go. Every Monday, I will change the title accordingly so that it will be more clear as to what section is the weeks topic of discussion. This is open to EVERYONE! I understand that religion and faith are touchy subjects but to me the importance of the Gospel outweighs any possible hurt feelings that may or may not happen. I also understand that there will be different denominations represented and respecting one another's views will be key.

One thing that I hope happens is that we will be challenged by one another and hold each other accountable.

Recommended study tools:
  • Bible
  • notebook and pencil
  • Bible apps such as the one from YouVesion
  • Podcast ie Matt Chandler

How to prepare:
  • Pray and ask God to open our mind and heart
  • Observe the Passage: Ask basic questions about the passage
  • Interpret the Passage: Find explanations for anything you don't understand
  • Apply the Passage: Ask yourself how you should respond
  • Pray and Ask God to Help You Put the Lesson into Practice
  • Track Your Progress in a Journal

James Chapter Three.
(Week of 12/04/11)
Post your observations, questions, etc.

DISCUSS
Romans 3:23
English Standard Version (ESV)

for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
JAMES CHAPTER1;
Was an over all great chapter.

I feel it mostly talked about, how if you believe or see you should do for God

James Chapter 1;23
For if any be a hearer of the word,and not a doer,he is like unto a man beholding his natural face unto a glass.

I think over all it was saying to not be a sayer or hearer, BUT also a doer
I liked this chapter
Ill pray for us to all be like the way lord wants us to be.

What'd you guys think?

To show how little I know, I didn't know the author was James, the half-brother of Jesus.

There is a lot to here but a few things that stood out for me are;
1:2 - Count it ALL joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds.
That is very very hard to do but in the end it always makes your character that much better and you are wiser.

1:13 - God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one.
But He does test his people so that their character is strengthened.

1:19 - ...be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger.
Speaks for itself.

1:22-25 - But be doers of the world, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the world and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like.
The last part is what stood out to me the most in this chapter. This verse is pretty direct. If you are one who only goes to church on Sundays, listens to the preacher do his thing, go home and go about your life and do not apply anything that you heard then you are deceiving yourself. I know I have been guilty of this many times.

1:26 If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.
I feel that a lot of unbelievers are bombarded with this constantly and one of the major reasons that they despise anything do do with God, Jesus, and or the bible. One of the worst things you can do do someone is force your views and faith on them. You have to build a relationship/friendship first. Then, answer any questions that they may have. You cannot go around saying "If you do A or B you are going to Hell". Sure that tactic may work with some, not anyone I have ever met.

(11-07-2011, 03:27 PM)Gimmezell Wrote:  1:26 If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.
I feel that a lot of unbelievers are bombarded with this constantly and one of the major reasons that they despise anything do do with God, Jesus, and or the bible. One of the worst things you can do do someone is force your views and faith on them. You have to build a relationship/friendship first. Then, answer any questions that they may have. You cannot go around saying "If you do A or B you are going to Hell". Sure that tactic may work with some, not anyone I have ever met.

This is exactly why I have a problem with preaching to people. I don't want to give people the A or B speech but I also know what if they never know.

Jeremy hit a lot of the same ones I got.

1:14-15 But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. 15 Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death.

That's exactly how it goes for me. I start to talking myself into thinking the other things weren't as bad as it seems.
EJ8 Family Guy member #6
[Image: CIVIC1-1-1.jpg]
"Tap,Snap or Nap" You pick!
1:2
Can you guys explain?
I've been guilty plenty of times
Of when I goto church ,listen think im going to be what I heard and prayed about then leave and act as if I forgot
I've really been trying to be a better person in reference to 1:22-25
I hear ya Jerry, on the not wanting to force my views on friends or on anyone in the fear that they will be offended. I often find myself wondering if I will ever have the right words to say to someone when the given situation arises. I try to be "prepared" for things (at a fault). Trying to think of all the answers to the questions that this future person is going to ask me. In a recent sermon at church, I finally realized what Tammi, has been telling me. That God has already prepared me for what I will say and he has already prepared the other person't heart.

How about this, by not "preaching" the word we are doing exactly what the enemy want's us to do and that is nothing. This thought came to me during this week and reflecting on what you said Jerry. If we feel uncomfortable in sharing our faith and we don't share our faith with friends or whoever then that is giving in to the enemy. Recently a situation arose at our church that prompted Tammi to pray for being comfortable at being uncomfortable which is an awesome prayer request. I need to step out of my comfort zone, share my faith and be okay at the possible of offending people while I do.

Here's an analogy. If your friend fell while walking across a busy highway and a semi-truck was headed straight for him would you stand there and watch him die or would you help pull him to safety?

Alex, here is my quick thoughts on your question. We should count all (everything) as joy. Simple example that popped in today was while doing math. Most of you know that I have a very difficult time at math. Well, today was another one of those days where I was getting very frustrated and making simple mistakes. Simply as forgetting to carry over a negative sign. This happened on at least five problems if not more. I complete a problem and feel good about the results and BAM wrong. Go back and check my work and I forgot a to carry that dang minus sign again. I step back and do a quick prayer to get clarity and not to get frustrated. I was prompted that I need to yet again, slow down and not rush into the problem.

Dang, I'm not really if that made things more confusing to you or not.

In for your thoughts guys.

I really like this thread. Just found it today. I would love to join in on this. I'll read the chapter and post my thoughts. Excellent idea!!
Jason
EJ8 Squad Member #679 Retired
1998 CGP EJ8 SOLD
2008 PWP CL9 daily/new project
EJ8 Build thread: The EX-R
CL9 Build thread: The Unicorn
Please do. I will extend this weeks study until over the weekend.

James 1:2-3
Facing life's trials with the Lord, makes us stronger and more confident. We are to take this with pure joy.

James 1:5-6
Don't hesitate to ask God for what you need. He gives generously without finding our faults and shortcomings as long as we whole hearted believe in Him without any doubt.

James 1:9
We should as believers celebrate in our glory.

James 1:21
Stay away from those who work to bring us down. Dig into the Word and believe without doubt. That is the only way to be saved.

James 1:22
Do what the Word says. Don't just show up on Sunday nicely dressed. Work and do for the Lord always.
Jason
EJ8 Squad Member #679 Retired
1998 CGP EJ8 SOLD
2008 PWP CL9 daily/new project
EJ8 Build thread: The EX-R
CL9 Build thread: The Unicorn
Thanks GImme that did help out!