EJ8 Squad
can someone please help?! My car is making a thumping noise while driving. - Printable Version

+- EJ8 Squad (http://www.ej8squad.com)
+-- Forum: Technical (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Suspension / Wheels / Tires (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: can someone please help?! My car is making a thumping noise while driving. (/thread-15091.html)

Pages: 1 2

can someone please help?! My car is making a thumping noise while driving. - ej8minime - 08-01-2010 05:17 PM

so i was driving my car then i noticed this small thumping noise which sounds like its coming from the front drivers side wheel. and it has gotten a lot worse. me ad my friends inspected the ael and the boot and it seems fine shook the wheel and all seems good that is untill i drive :/. when i accelerate it stops but when i coast or put it in neutral it thumps really fast and loud. when i turn turns while its thumping it goes away. is it my wheel bearing? what could it be? any help is much appreciated.
thanks in advance cody

RE: My car is making a thumping noise while driving. bad wheel bearing? - hocmedej8 - 08-01-2010 06:35 PM

sounds lke hubb bearing to me.. just my guess un seen

RE: can someone please help?! My car is making a thumping noise while driving. - Reanimated - 08-01-2010 08:38 PM

Sounds stupid but it happened to me, turns out the lugs were a bit loose. Had to jack the car up and tighten them off the ground to get the wheel correctly in place, rather than tightening them while the car was on the ground where theres much weight.

RE: can someone please help?! My car is making a thumping noise while driving. - ej8minime - 08-01-2010 08:50 PM

lol i havent actually tried to tighten them yet butt i shook the hell out of it when it was on the groung and when it was jacked up but maybe i should actually try to tighten it lol. thanks. any other ideas?

RE: can someone please help?! My car is making a thumping noise while driving. - x97EkBabyx - 08-01-2010 10:10 PM

sounds like an outter cv joint to me or for an easy fix remove Vertically challenged person from under car

RE: can someone please help?! My car is making a thumping noise while driving. - ej8minime - 08-01-2010 10:48 PM

is there a way to check the outer cv joint? or a way to test to see if its indeed bad?

RE: can someone please help?! My car is making a thumping noise while driving. - x97EkBabyx - 08-01-2010 11:07 PM

yes sir..But before you dive in there check 2 things.
1.) make sure the nuts on top of your strut mounts are tightened all the way
2.) make sure nothing is loose on your suspension
3.) Check the strut mount itself to see if its broken or damaged

also check your wheels bearings for wear..not many people repack em so why not when you pull out your axles to do 1-3>>>
1.)Take off the axle
2.) Disassemble axle
3.) Inspect boot for tears and bearings for any ovaling or burn marks(dark spots) and metal shavings. If not repack with new grease and you just did preventative maintenance on your axles Smile

Either way doing anything I mentioned above will only help your car in the long run and help prevent future problems

RE: can someone please help?! My car is making a thumping noise while driving. - deesnutz - 08-01-2010 11:16 PM

The noise completely goes away while accelerating and turning? Do you have a vibration in the steering wheel?

RE: can someone please help?! My car is making a thumping noise while driving. - ej8minime - 08-01-2010 11:24 PM

okay thanks for that. i'll do/check all that as soon as i can. im at work right now :/

RE: can someone please help?! My car is making a thumping noise while driving. - x97EkBabyx - 08-01-2010 11:30 PM

no problem.. My throwout bearing is making noise but ive just been too lazy to go out and work on it in 110degree heat